Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Hello old blog from 9 years ago


Now this blog is going to be about prediabetes. What that boils down to, is this is mostly a journal about walking and eating in NC.

More specifically, this is about me trying to avoid Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is chasing me. I am running. Actually, as you might have guessed, I don’t run much. Historically, exercise has not really been much of a thing, for me.

With type 2 diabetes, controlling one’s blood sugar is a way of life.  It’s all-encompassing.  It’s a never-ending cycle of staying conscious of one’s decisions.

I am not there yet, but I am close enough to call out the stops on my graduate school plans and rethink my future. Maybe I need to become a chef? I definitely need to be in control of my food, my sleep, and my exercise. Graduate school will throw that out of balance, so no graduate school.

Here’s the thing:  I don’t check my blood sugar. I am not approved to possess diabetic test strips. I have no way of knowing if I am actually doing well or not in my quest for health except by listening to what my body tells me.  That’s why it seems essential to keep track of supposed success and failure with a journal.  What did I eat?  How did I feel?  What happened?  Was my family willing to eat it? Did the decisions that were healthy for me seem healthy for my family?
This might be boring, but atleast you don’t have to read it if you don’t want to, and I won’t feel the need to over-share to my therapist and coworkers and brother.

No comments: